Welcome to Best Friends!

Monday, July 13, 2009

This story made me cry....Good hearted people!




Little dog gone, not forgotten
By Cindy Schroeder • cschroeder@nky.com • June 8, 2009


COVINGTON - It's been almost a week since Baby's death, but the condolences still keep pouring in for the lovable little Schnauzer that tugged at a community's heart strings.


Last July, Baby joined Sandi "Stoney" Stonebraker's household when the MainStrasse business owner opened her side door to find a cardboard box with a handwritten note on top. Inside was a trembling black dog wrapped in a faded Winnie the Pooh blanket.
"I'm sorry to show up on your doorstep but my master lost our home," the note said. "Please take care of me or find someone that (will) be good to me as I'm old, 15 years, blind, hard of hearing...and no money to see a doctor...My name is Baby."
For nearly a year, Baby shared a home with Stoney and her two other strays - Joey, a geriatric poodle mix, and Kita, a frisky gray and white cat. During that time, Stoney continued her search for the elderly, gray-haired stranger who neighbors had spotted gazing into her yard on the day she found Baby.
Stoney told Baby's story in the newspaper. She posted updates on her Facebook account, and even stopped people on the street in search of the little dog's original owner. But it was to no avail.
"I always pictured Baby's owner having to go into a nursing home or leaving town to go live with his children because of his health," Stoney said. "On some level, I hope he knows that I did everything I could to make her last year wonderful. I wrapped her in my love, and she loved me back."
After Baby's story appeared in The Enquirer last August, the little Schnauzer became a celebrity of sorts.
"I'd be out walking her on the promenade, and people would drive by and roll down their windows and say, 'Is that Baby?''' Stoney recalled. "Everyone wanted to meet her."
Last week, Stoney made the final call to the vet that she'd been dreading for some time. Baby was sleeping all but one or two hours a day, coughing up stuff and "she was so thin you could feel her bones."
"Even though she was sleeping 22 or 23 hours a day, she was a regular little Energizer bunny when she was awake," Stoney said. "She still had that perky little step, and I'll never forget how she tilted her little head."
Baby was buried last Wednesday in the backyard where she would sit for hours in nice weather.
Since then, Stoney has accepted flowers, cards and numerous phone calls and e-mails offering condolences for the little dog.
Someone sent a figurine of a Scottie with a halo over his head. A woman "who didn't have a dime" sent a homemade bookmark. Friends gave Stoney a dogwood to plant near the sidewalk that Baby walked each day.
"If I could talk to Baby's owner, I would want to thank him for his special gift," Stoney said. "Baby inspired me and brought out something in me that wasn't there before. She was a special doggie that touched people's hearts."

No comments:

Post a Comment